Sunday, June 7, 2009

Comforter Waves

With four kids sometimes you feel like you've pretty much seen it all. Then along comes a new way of looking at the world and it can take you by surprise.

I have seen him do it a few times before but I never realized it was deliberate.

I was making up our king sized bed for the morning. Sam was on the other side of the bed, in the middle of getting dressed. Our bedding is very streamlined. Sheets, pillowcases and two simple comforters. It takes about two minutes to make the bed in the morning. No tucking anything in, no fancy pillows to arrange. If it took longer than two minutes it wouldn't get done.

So I grabbed the edges of the comforter and, with a snap of my wrist, I shook it out so that it would cover the bed evenly. Mid snap, Sam jumped in. He crouched down and dove under the comforter wave.

"Do it again, Mom!" he yelled, his voice muffled by the blankets down filling.

I smiled and again flicked my wrist. He jumped out of the cavern then dove back in, just as the comforter was crashing back down.

We did this over and over, again and again. Such a simple game bringing such delight to my boy.

Who knew that jumping into crashing comforter waves could be so much fun?

No comments: