Saturday, September 26, 2009

You Know You've Had "The Talk"...

I have been on crutches for the past three days. It is probably the longest I have been on crutches since my surgery, almost six years ago, and it is maddening. There is a significant sore on my stump that will only heal with exposure to air so the only answer is no wearing of the bionic leg. It makes cooking, cleaning, and even getting dressed, a real pain. (although I am finally all caught up on TV shows taped)

So this morning we were headed out for an adventure. I needed to get out of the house and our sixteen year old had a cross country meet way up north. Perfect excuse to drive some gorgeous upstate roads at a gorgeous time of year.

But before we could go I had to dress in normal, leaving the house kind of clothes. Sam (my eight year old) was my helper, digging through my dresser drawers as I balanced nearby on crutches, analyzing what he was finding. We finally found some appropriate apparel and I sat down on the edge of the bed to put it on. Sam began to dash out of the room, which confused me at first.

"Where ya goin'?" I asked.

"Well, you're gettin' dressed, right? Taking off your clothes? I'm not like dad....I don't really enjoy that..."

Ahhhh...the joys of having all 'older' kids.....

No comments: