Friday, September 19, 2008

Advantages

So Baby Boy started second grade. Not quite as dramatic and heart wrenching as starting Kindergarten, but when he is the youngest of the pack, every school year makes my heart ache for him to be little again.

He has a great teacher and a great love of school and reading, so I really cannot complain. And he still looks forward to seeing me show up in his classroom door, ready to help with some project or activity.

So far this year I have not been to his class during school hours. It is early in, just a few weeks since school started, so I'm holding off, not ready to beg his teacher just yet.

But suddenly a note came home that caught my eye. Today was going to be pirate day.

Pirate Day. Like in bandanas. And eye patches. And a lot of yelling "Arg! Ahoy Matey!"

And, of course, peg legs.

The picture on the note in his backpack had a cartoon character with a peg leg. This was right up my alley!

I ran to the computer and emailed his teacher. I told her that although I have a plastic foot, I have a great prosthetist, who has mentioned that he's recently worn a peg on his leg for Halloween. I would be more than willing to pay him a visit and show up at the classroom with an honest to goodness real peg leg!

Unfortunately she declined my offer. But she did so graciously, and with a smile, so I want to believe she still has me on the list of halfway sane parents.

Parents who are willing to do whatever it takes to help out in the classroom. Because soon Baby Boy won't want me there anymore. And peg leg and me will have to be happy with hugs and smiles delivered only in after school hours.

And my fancy hardware will only be useful on the 31st of October.

No comments: