Friday, September 19, 2008

Pull over

I know I am lucky to have a girl. In this household full of boys my daughter and I stick together. We try to escape and shop every now and then. I take her side when dad fusses at her about her messy room, reminding him that I too had a messy room as a teen and I turned out okay enough for him to pick me as a life long friend.

And then there are the girl terms that might never be uttered in our house if it were not for my daughter.

Headband. French Braid. Earring. Belly Button Ring. (!)

Then another one came up the other day.

I just got a new full time job at the library. I am thrilled to be working at a place I love to be. But just a few days before the job was to start I realized I had never noticed what the library staff wore. I had no idea what the dress code might be.

So I talked the two youngest boys into going to the library with me, not telling them about my reconnaissance mission, just selling the trip as a chance to find new books.

On the way home I asked them if they had noticed what the library staff was wearing.

Without missing a beat, Middle Boy said, "Yeah. That one lady had on a white pullover."

I was confused. There were only two women we saw and both had on dark colors.

After a brief pause, Middle Boy started to laugh. "Just kidding mom! I have no idea what they were wearing. I don't even know what a pullover is!"

As I was shaking my head and rolling my eyes, he suddenly turned serious again.

With a wrinkled brow he cocked his head to the side and said, "Is it something you pull over your head?"

I gave my daughter a big long hug the minute we got home.

No comments: