Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why I Love Him


That handsome man in the picture has a birthday tomorrow. He turns 42. I can tell you that because he and I were both born in the same year. My turn comes in November. I always was attracted to older men.

I heard a quote the other day, advice for teenage girls. I thought it was pretty smart.

"Don't marry a man unless you'd be proud to have a son who turned out exactly like him."

No one gave me that advice but I lucked out anyway. The man in that picture makes me smile, and more importantly, makes me laugh, on a regular basis.

The little boy in the picture is not our son. He is a preschooler who belongs to one of Hubby's co-workers. But the great thing about my better half is that he can bend down and relate to a three year old as easily as he grabs the car keys and takes the teenage Daughter out for driving lessons.

And he balances a stressful work environment, fighting for the causes of environmental issues all day at work, and then somehow has something left over to give us when he comes home.

He's not perfect, of course. But then again, neither am I. And knowing he puts up with a lot of 'stuff' from me, especially with my health issues, makes me a lot more willing to overlook his faults.

We have several friends going through painful divorces right now. It makes us ask each other, "Are you okay? Am I okay? Are we okay?"

And I am pretty sure the answer is yes. Because he is my friend first. And I love going through the years of my life with him by my side.

So happy birthday Hubby. Here's to about fifty more years of love and laughter and bugging the heck out of each other.

I love you more than you'll ever know.

No comments: